With his sister and pet dog out of the burning house, the brave boy ran next door to his uncle's house for help to alert the rest of the family.
They say heroes come in all shapes, sizes, and ages. 5-year-old Noah Woods from Georgia recently proved this to be true when he saved his entire family from the devastating fire that consumed their house earlier this month. The young knight in shining armor who displayed uncharacteristic maturity, awareness, and composure in the face of danger will now become an honorary firefighter with the Bartow County Fire Department. While his family and all those who hear the story of his heroics can't stop singing his praise, Noah—bless his pure heart—doesn't seem to think it was that big of a deal.
5-year-old hero saves toddler sister, family of 9 from house fire: https://t.co/ic6Q2PKTYN pic.twitter.com/uEqoFQkLb8— WSB-TV (@wsbtv) February 11, 2020
According to CNN, Noah and seven other family members were asleep in their home in Bartow County, Georgia, on February 9 when the young boy woke up to see smoke and flames in the bedroom he shared with his baby sister. Although he didn't quite understand what was happening, he knew something was wrong and immediately jumped to action. "I don’t know where the flames came from," the young hero told WSB-TV. Noah quickly jumped out of bed, grabbed his 2-year-old sister Lily and got her out of the house to safety through the only exit in sight: the window.
However, he didn't just stop there. The brave lad then went back into the house through the same window to rescue the family dog and pulled it to safety. With his sister and pet dog out of the burning house, Noah ran next door to his uncle's house for help. Speaking of his heroics, the little one humbly said, "I picked Lily up, got to the window with Lily, got the dog and got out. That's it." Together, Noah and his uncle helped alert the rest of Woods' family and rescued them from the fire. Everyone made it out safely.
Holding the hand of a 5yr old hero! Meet the boy who saved his family from a house fire... He got a small burn on his wrist. @wsbtv at 5pm pic.twitter.com/0kTr2lqW9v— Wendy Corona (@WendyCoronaWSB) February 10, 2020
The Bartow County Fire Department credits the little boy for saving seven of his family members and praised him for his quick thinking. "We've seen children alert their families before. But for a 5-year-old to be alert enough to do this... that's pretty extraordinary," said the fire department's chief, Dwayne Jamison. The chief also revealed that the fire was started by an overloaded electrical outlet in Noah's bedroom and upon arrival, firefighters treated the boy and four other family members for minor burns and smoke inhalation.
February 13, 2020
In a Facebook post praising the little hero, Bartow County Fire Department wrote: Our hero! 5-year-old Noah Woods recently woke up to find his bedroom on fire. The only available exit was a window. He got himself, his 2-year-old sister, and dog out of the window to escape the fire and woke his uncle up next door to alert the rest of the family. Noah and 4 other family members were treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation. Noah is credited for saving himself and 7 other family members. On Friday BCFD Chief Dwayne Jamison will recognize him as an Honorary Bartow County Firefighter and present him with a Lifesaving Award.
What a amazing boy!! I pray the family will be able to get the money quick much love to them all!!— Destiny Doe (@dmoore048) February 14, 2020
What a brave little boy with self-awareness & bravery beyond his years & seeing humans and his dog as equals....well with a name like Noah he is destined to save his world! 😉— Mimi Rossi (@MimiRossiJ) February 13, 2020
A real hero! What a wonderful place the world would be if everyone were as kind and as brave as this young man.— Laura Eva Meszaros (@MeszarosLE) February 13, 2020
"If it wasn’t for Noah, I mean, we were all asleep, so we wouldn’t have known what was going on. We could’ve all lost our lives. Nobody got hurt. We got smoked up a little bit, but we're all still alive," said Noah's grandfather, David Wood. In a GoFundMe page set up to help the family rebuild their home, the proud grandad wrote: We thank God for our Noah and his heroic actions. By the grace of God, all nine of our loved ones were able to get out of our home. If it wasn't for Noah, we may not be here today... We praise God that we all are safe. Unfortunately, our home was a total loss. Due to a recent lapse in our home insurance, this has made a difficult situation a little worse. We are planning to rebuild and will likely need to stay in a motel for some time and likely rent a small house while we work to earn funding and build.