Sahil Bloom, a writer, asked 90-year-olds what advice they would give their younger selves and received 40 valuable life lessons.
Editor's note: This article was originally published on March 21, 2023. It has since been updated.
In today's world, we often get bombarded with advice on how to live our lives. It can be overwhelming to sift through the noise and determine which direction is valuable and applicable to us. However, Sahil Bloom, a writer and investor, took a unique approach to discover life lessons that work. He went straight to the source and asked elderly individuals for their advice on how to live a fulfilling life.
Today is my 32nd birthday.— Sahil Bloom (@SahilBloom) January 5, 2023
Over the last month, I asked several 90-year-olds what advice they would give to their 32-year-old selves.
Here's the life advice everyone needs to hear:
Bloom compiled his findings into a Twitter thread that contained pearls of wisdom, which revolved around themes such as shedding fear, avoiding regret and making the world a better place for oneself and others. The advice given was simple yet profound and it can be summarized as "life is for living."
4. Don’t fear sadness, as it tends to sit right next to love.— Sahil Bloom (@SahilBloom) January 5, 2023
5. Treat your body like a house you have to live in for another 70 years.
6. Never raise your voice, except for at a ballgame.
7. Do one good deed every single day, but never tell anyone about it.
One of the recurring themes in the thread was not to sweat the small stuff. The seniors emphasized that too much energy is wasted on things that ultimately do not matter. Instead, they suggested focusing on the big picture and enjoying life to the fullest.
11. If something has a minor issue, repair it. Minor issues become major issues over time. Applies equally to love, friendships, health, and home.— Sahil Bloom (@SahilBloom) January 5, 2023
12. The most damning lie you can tell is the lie you tell to yourself.
13. No one has ever argued their way to happiness.
Another piece of advice was to be deliberate about the people you surround yourself with. The elderly individuals stressed the importance of choosing friends and loved ones who lift you up and inspire you rather than those who bring you down.
17. Never let a good friendship atrophy. Send the text, make the call, plan the trip. Good friendships must be treasured.— Sahil Bloom (@SahilBloom) January 5, 2023
18. When you meet someone, look them in the eye, give a firm handshake, and call them by their name.
19. Give everybody a second chance, but never a third.
The concept of "living in the present" was also emphasized by the 90-year-olds. They urged younger people to seize the moment and not put off things they can do today for tomorrow. Time is precious and it should be spent doing the things that make us happy.
The older folks stressed the importance of taking responsibility for our actions too. While we cannot control others, we have the power to control our own actions. Doing the right thing is not always easy, but it is essential to living a life free of regret.
23. Taking no risk is the biggest risk you can take. Regret from inaction is always more painful than regret from action.— Sahil Bloom (@SahilBloom) January 5, 2023
24. It doesn’t have to be perfect for it to be wonderful.
25. When in doubt, love. We can always use more love.
Ultimately, the elderly individuals' advice can be distilled into one simple message: enjoy life to the fullest for as long as you can. We often get caught up in the hustle and bustle of daily life and forget to appreciate the little things we have. Taking time to slow down and enjoy the moment is crucial to living a fulfilling life.
29. If there's something bothering you, ask yourself whether it will matter in one month. If not, let it go right now.— Sahil Bloom (@SahilBloom) January 5, 2023
30. Stop trying to change people who don’t want to be changed.
31. You may win the argument, but if you lose the friend, what was the point?
Sahil Bloom's Twitter thread on life lessons from 90-year-olds provides valuable insights into how to live a fulfilling life. The advice given is simple yet profound and can be applied to anyone's life. By shedding fear, avoiding regret and making the world a better place, we can all live life to the fullest.
34. If something isn't working and your gut tells you to try harder, first ask whether there's just an easier way to do it.— Sahil Bloom (@SahilBloom) January 5, 2023
35. Allow your kids to fail. You will hate it, but it's so important.
36. There’s nothing wrong with shedding old relationships as you grow and change.
37. No amount of money is ever worth trading for your peace of mind.— Sahil Bloom (@SahilBloom) January 5, 2023
38. If your kid wants to dance in line at the store, join them.
39. Smile and say good morning to strangers on the street.
40. Laugh loudly and unapologetically whenever you feel like it.
Sharing some photos here of a few of the participants with their permission.— Sahil Bloom (@SahilBloom) January 5, 2023
Ask your older loved ones the question and see what they say!
Wisdom from years and years of life. pic.twitter.com/BVJ4YnEiM2